Los Angeles & Sherman Oaks Age Discrimination Attorneys
About 20 percent of all workers in the U.S. – or about 33 million American workers – are 55 years old or older. Unfortunately, some of these individuals will be the targets of age discrimination at work, possibly causing them significant emotional and financial harm.
At Koron & Podolsky, LLP, our Sherman Oaks attorneys are dedicated to helping the targets of workplace age discrimination fight back, defend their rights and pursue all available legal remedies. Known for our client-focused approach, our lawyers have the knowledge, skills and experience you can rely on for exceptional representation through all phases of litigation.
Examples of Workplace Age Discrimination
Age discrimination at work can take various forms, some more overt than others. Just some examples of workplace age discrimination can include when a worker, as a result of his or her age, is:
- Passed over for a job opportunity and/or professional training
- Demoted or denied a promotion
- Laid off or fired
- Harassed or subjected to a hostile work environment
- Assigned to unfavorable job duties or work schedules
- Compensated at lower rates
- Not offered the same benefits as younger workers
- Not offered any benefits.
In addition, workers should be aware that:
- The law1 does not currently prohibit employers from treating older workers more favorably than younger workers even if that treatment has adverse impacts for younger workers. In other words, age discrimination claims can only be filed by workers who are 40 or older.
- The perpetrators of age discrimination at work can include supervisors, colleagues, contractors, and clients. They may also be younger or older than 40.
Workplace Age Discrimination Cases: More Important Information
- Employer inquiries in the hiring process – Although it is not specifically illegal for an employer to question a job applicant about his or her age during the interview or hiring process, these inquiries must not be motivated by some unlawful purpose.
- Potential remedies – Successful age discrimination cases can result in recoveries that may include (but may not be limited to) damages for back pay, lost benefits, front pay, emotional distress, and attorneys’ fees. Punitive damages may also be available in some cases.
Contact a Sherman Oaks Discrimination Attorney at Koron & Podolsky, LLP
If you have been the target of age discrimination at work, contact a Sherman Oaks discrimination attorney at Koron & Podolsky, LLP to find out more about your options for justice. Known for providing aggressive, effective legal advocacy, our lawyers are exceptional litigators who are dedicated to protecting our clients’ rights and advancing their interests to help them succeed in their financial recovery.
Call us today at (818) 380-3077 or email us using the contact form on this page for more information about your potential case and how to proceed. From Sherman Oaks, our lawyers provide superior representation to people throughout Los Angeles County, Orange County, Ventura County, and the state of California.
1: Age Discrimination Employment Act (ADEA)